Sunday, October 5, 2014

CHILDREN OF THE DUMPING GROUND

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/children-of-the-dumping-ground

EXCERPT......please read and share FULL article, an extraordinary plight for "juvenile justice"


"In 2009, I met a young boy named Justin while filming inside Pendleton Juvenile Correctional Facility, a maximum-security juvenile prison 35 minutes east of Indianapolis.  At age 14, Justin was unlike any boy I had ever met during my 17 years filming inside juvenile prisons.  Why?  With an IQ of 40, Justin functioned at the level of a first-grader. He couldn’t read or write and had no idea why he was living a life behind bars. Even more wrenchingly, he had no parents, no family, no guardian and no legal counsel.  Frankly, even prison officials couldn’t understand why a minor brush with the law would send a developmentally disabled child to prison—and for such a long time.

There was no way I could turn my back on his story..........."
~~
My personal thanks to the author for this article and most worth while project for "justice" for "children"

No comments: